Saturday, May 1, 2010

The letter arrives...

The letter arrived today--thin envelope. My immediate reaction was that, just like college admissions years ago, it's a rejection. Here's how it unfolded.

My family had been at the zoo all day celebrating my daughter's fifth birthday--hours of wrangling a gaggle of very active and energetic little girls. After walking in the door, I clipped my dog to his leash and stopped at the post box as we headed down to the park to play a little frisbee. I spotted the thin envelope and felt a little crushed but also a little relieved that at least the wait was over. Curiosity pushed me to open it, maybe an invitation to apply next year, other program options, but as I quickly scanned the opening lines my heart leaped in excitement and disbelief. I rushed through the rest of the letter, yelled to my wife and then ran in the kitchen door. "I got it!" I sputtered out--"I think I got it! I need to take Jack for his walk. Could you read the letter and tell me what you think?" I floated down our street grinning, thoughts racing. I made it back to our house and my wife was waiting, beaming, big hug and a congratulations whispered in my ear. I knew it was real then.

No comments:

Post a Comment