Sunday, September 26, 2010

Back from Mamallapuram

I put about 100 photos on my Shutterfly share site from my trip to Mamallapuram. If you are interested, there's a tab with a link. I may write about that more at some other point, but it's late on Sunday night--well, at least it feels late. I've been sitting at the computer most of the day, except for a trip to the gym, lunch and a haircut (all of these were done at the same place). Probably should mention that at this same place I received my first nickname since arriving in India 11 days ago. The manager at the restaurant I always eat at gave it to me--Gopal. It refers to a manifestation of Lord Krishna in his youth, the protector of cows. Not quite sure how to respond to it--I was re-introduced to all the staff as "Mr. Gopal." I smiled and took the name in good nature. It was sort of a strange afternoon anyway. I finally pulled myself away from e-mails, Shutterfly, grading papers and other work in my room to work out. The weights felt good, but I was hungry. I packed a change of clothes in my messenger bag, just in case I couldn't slip into the restaurant to grab a quick sandwich. The trainer said to just go for it, and as I entered the dining room I was greeted loudly by the manager and the assistant manager. There I am, standing in basketball shorts and a quick-dry top, while all around me very well-dressed families quietly eat their Sunday afternoon lunch. I can barely get out asking if I should change before entering, but I'm swept away to my usual spot and the manager personally puts in my order and stays to chat--this is when I got the nickname. I have no idea what the other patrons thought about this--who is this sweaty, shabbily-dressed American and why the fuss? I can understand making a cultural misstep innocently, but this time I felt like I was pulled into it despite my better judgement. I have to say that it does feel good to be a regular, to have some community, some connection to a new place. I've been stunned by the welcoming nature of the people I've met--invited to homes for meals, offers to help with just about anything I could possibly need. Coming from the Midwest (good doses of German and Scandinavian guilt and responsibility programmed in, fed through the water-supply to the very core of our beings) it feels like I owe a series of debts that I may never be able to repay. Maybe it's the lessons learned that's the key--I feel close to my friends here, like I've known them for so much longer than 11 days. I feel like I have a better sense of what it is like to be a good and giving person, a reset of priorities--sort of like my soul grew or aired itself out a bit. Maybe what I've been experiencing is just human-hearted compassion--you do it not for any type of reward or recognition but because ultimately it is what keeps us together as human beings you are more free and happy when you do. Give of yourself and be open and receptive to others. Let that be your gift to the world and let others learn from you--hopefully they'll spread it around, too. Won't we all be in a better place if this is true. But then again maybe I'm overthinking it, or perhaps the label and categorizing (I guess we could call it reason) doesn't really matter, but if it works go with it. Regardless, I feel like I'm sort of getting it, like there's been a real positive change in my outlook, like I learned something.

No comments:

Post a Comment